Shannon Brewing Company
Shannon Brewing Company is an award-winning craft brewery located in Keller, Texas. Our brewery is truly a team environment. We lend a hand with anything that needs to be done and support each other to ensure the brewery is successful. We are always looking for genuine and sincere people to join our team. Come help us grow!
Shannon Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status or other protected status covered by federal, state or local law.
Shannon Brewing Company is growing at an amazing clip. The brewery’s beer is winning awards and going into more large-format grocery, liquor, and craft stores. We are passionate about great beer—all-natural, beautiful, innovative, amazing beer! All our beer is brewed with pure Texas spring water, whole grain, and whole flower hops using our unique fire-brewed system.
About the Position:
We are looking for a Lead Brewer to add to our management team. The Lead Brewer will be an integral part of our production team and have great influence in the future of the brewery. He or she will participate in all aspects of the brewing process — including but not limited to raw materials management, recipe development, brewhouse operations, cellaring management, packaging, barrel aging, yeast husbandry, laboratory operations, and all associated beer QA/QC standards. Our brewhouse is very unique — fire heated mash tun and kettle. More information on our system is available here: http://shannonbrewing.com/brewery
The Ideal Candidate:
This is a hands-on position! The ideal candidate will have applicable brewery management experience, a formal brewing education, and a passion for the brewing industry. He or she will have a strong background in brewery operations, a history of professional brewing and/or a degree in brewing sciences. This person will also have experience in facilities management, raw materials management, wort production, cellaring, packaging, yeast management, laboratory operations, packaging operations, QA/QC standards and applicable sanitation practices. The ideal candidate will have a passion for solving problems and creating value for the company and its customers. Most importantly, the candidate must be a team player.
The Lead Brewer’s primary responsibility is ensuring the Shannon Brewing Company is producing the highest quality beer possible — from grain to package. This includes working as an integral member of the production team. This is a hands-on position — requiring the lead brewer to personally participate in all aspects of the brewing, cellaring, packaging, and facilities management.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Brewing Operations
- Facilities Management
- Recipe development
- Grain management
- Raw materials inventory and management
- Precisely following all brewery recipes for existing beers and developing new and innovative recipes for full-scale and pilot batches
- Follow existing Standard Operating Procedures pertaining to brewing, cellaring, packaging and authoring / updating SOPs as needed
- Maintain detailed data records associated with brewing, cellaring, centrifuge operations, packaging and related activities
- Managing and developing the talent of the production team
- Data entry of all appropriate details in the brewery management software (Ekos)
- Daily gravity readings and recordings
- Daily CO2/DO reading and recordings as necessary to ensure product quality
- Maintain turbidity, CO2 and O2 levels within product specifications
- Manage and maintain brewing equipment
- Manage and maintain production facilities and assist in taproom maintenance
- Manage and maintain cellar equipment
- Manage, maintain, and lead the use of laboratory equipment — specifically cellometer, microscope, DO readers (PPM and PPB), etc.
- Oversee and manage packaging department equipment, including kegging equipment, canning line and all associated machinery/supplies
- Oversee and manage centrifuge and associated equipment
- Follow, develop, and maintain best practices for all brewing, cellaring and packaging procedures
- Assist in managing inventory control of kegs, cases, cans, labels and all associated materials/supplies
- Manage yeast husbandry procedures and best practices
- Manage all yeast disposal procedures
- Oversee and manage operations for dry spicing of fermented beer
- Oversee and manage operations of all fining operations and best practices
- Manage startup and shutdown of associated facility processes
- Oversee and manage operations and maintenance of CIP equipment
- Provide and receive continual innovation and improvements
This position will have direct reports. Previous management necessary.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base Salary
- Monthly Beer Allotment
- Health Insurance Stipend
- Paid Vacation per Employee Handbook
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of three years experience as a lead brewer is required
- Strong understanding of beer brewing and cellaring strategies is required
- Laboratory skills are required: yeast management, DO/CO2 measurement, etc.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and passion for beer
- Mechanically inclined
- Strong work ethic. The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- A college degree is preferred but not required.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking capabilities, strong communication skills; verbal, listening and writtenSome evening and weekend work may be required.
If you wish to be considered for this position, apply with a cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.