Shannon Brewing Company is an award-winning craft brewery located in Keller, Texas. We are passionate about great beer—all natural, beautiful, wholesome, easy-drinking beer! Shannon Brewing Company’s great beer comes from a profound commitment to our “old-world” brewing process and using the best natural ingredients available. All our beer is brewed with pure spring water, non-GMO grain, whole flower hops using our unique fire-brewed system.
About the Position:
We are looking for a Brewer to add to our production team. We will consider bringing on an assistant brewer with sound brewing qualifications and a strong work ethic. The Brewer will be an integral part of our production team. He or she will participate in all aspects of the brewing process — including but not limited to brewing, cellaring, packaging, barrel aging, yeast husbandry, laboratory operations and all associated beer QA/QC standards. This is a hands-on position!
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will have applicable brewery experience and a passion for the brewing industry. He or she will have a strong background in brewing operations, a history of professional brewing and/or a degree in brewing sciences. This person will also have experience in cellaring, packaging, yeast management, laboratory operations, QA/QC standards and applicable sanitation practices. The ideal candidate will have a passion for solving problems and creating value for the company and its customers.
The Brewer’s primary responsibility is ensuring the brewery is producing the highest quality beer possible — from grain to glass. This includes working as an integral member of the production team. This is a hands-on position — requiring the brewer to personally participate in all aspects of the brewing, cellaring and packaging process.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Grain handling, milling and disposal.
- Raw materials management and assistance.
- Precisely following all brewery recipes for existing beers.
- Assist in developing new and limited release beer recipes.
- Follow Stand Operating Procedures pertaining to brewing, cellaring, packaging — authoring and updating SOPs as needed.
- Maintain detailed data records associated with brewing, cellaring, centrifuge operations, packaging and related activities.
- Data entry of all appropriate details in the brewery management software.
- Daily gravity readings and recordings.
- Daily CO2/DO reading and recordings as necessary to ensure product quality.
- Maintain turbidity, CO2 and O2 levels within product specifications.
- Manage and maintain brewing equipment.
- Manage and maintain cellar equipment.
- Operate and maintain packaging department equipment, including kegging equipment, canning line and all associated machinery/supplies.
- Operate and maintain centrifuge and associated equipment.
- Follow, develop and maintain best practices for all brewing, cellaring and packaging procedures.
- Assist in managing inventory control of kegs, cases, cans and associated materials/supplies.
- Manage yeast husbandry procedures and best practices.
- Manage all yeast disposal procedures.
- Assist in dry spicing of fermented beer.
- Manage all fining operations and best practices.
- Some forklift operations.
- Startup and shutdown of associated facility processes.
- CIP equipment preparation and operations.
- Provide and receive continual innovation and improvements.
- This position may have any direct reports, depending on level of experience. Previous management experience is desirable but not necessary.
- Other duties include: effluent processing as it relates to the above operations, cleaning and organizing standards, assist with Daily Record of Activities, festival participation and management, brewery representation at events, Saturday tour participation.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base Salary
- Monthly Beer Allotment
- Health Insurance Stipend
- Paid Vacation per Employee Handbook
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of two years experience in the brewing/packaging industry is required.
- Strong understanding of beer brewing and cellaring strategies is required
- Laboratory skills are strongly desired: yeast management, DO/CO2 measurement, etc.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and passion for beer
- Mechanically inclined
- Strong work ethic. The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- A college degree is preferred but not required.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking capabilities, strong communication skills; verbal, listening and written
Some evening and weekend work may be required.
If you wish to be considered for this position, send cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to:
Shannon Brewing Company
818 North Main Street
Keller, TX 76248
Or email to: info@ShannonBrewing.com